Monday, 30 June 2014
We are going to have a small tournament in DzC this weekend so I thought it was best to add some new terrain to the club.
These were real easy to make and the result is over my expectations, and especially considering how little time they took to make.
I just glued some bits on a base, added sand and then a quick zenith light base priming.
After that some small colour on some of the walls and lastly some tags and other graffiti.
It really don't show any good on any of the pictures but apparently Killroy was there...
Thursday, 26 June 2014
It saved up on time and I managed to paint a whole unit in less time then it would take to paint them i lesser parts. The idea with batch painting is to use one colour on all models before switching to a new colour and work that one over all. I used a brown primer as a start on these as I wanted to have lots of brown horses and leather on the riders, all meant to speed up the painting.
The miniatures are a mixture of Magister Militums historical Saracens and some of their fantasy miniatures mixed in, and the Hornblower was given a steed from Gripping Beast.
I like the riders and they got a nice mixture of equipment and looks good. The horses on the other hand.. some of them is far to small.
For a light horse unit as the previously painted it works but as I initially wanted to have a heavy cavalry unit I dont think it looks believable.
So I think I shall downgrade these miniatures. They are carrying chain mail armour, helmets and shields so they could be used as heavy cavalry but as some of the horses are really small I plan to downgrade these into a sort of medium cavalry unit and threat them as a milita or levy unit compromised of somewhat richer citizens drafted to make up for a cavalry unit. They are missing the training and horses of a proper heavy cavalry unit.
With that in mind I opted for a more brown colour palette then some of my previously Saracen cavalry units but still with some details and colour. And I skipped on some of the fabric details and so on.
I plan to take some miniature comparison pictures later so you can see the difference in sizes on the horses as I think that on their own they actually look pretty descent.
Wednesday, 25 June 2014
Big thanks to Tobias (http://tobbesfow.blogspot.se/) for wanting to try out his Austrians.
When we calculated together what he could muster we ended up with a 175pts army and with that points I choose opposition army.
Its actually my first time using points in Black Powder and it worked out fine.
The Cavalry brigade was commanded by a Command 7 officer and two Hussar regiments, one upgraded to veterans.
The Infantry brigade was commanded by a Command 7 officer and two line regiments one was upgraded to veterans and tough fighter.
The Line infantry was ganging up on the Landwehr trying to make an impact what should be his weakest part of his army. The plan was to start somewhere.
The line shoots at his Grenadiers while I assault the other unit in the side. Nice one.
Its feel next to impossible to charge infantry that havn´t taken a beating before with cavalry as only a double 1 or a double 6 will result in anything useful for the cavalry. But when they are shaken or disordered that would be a whole different game, the problem is just how to do that.
My other infantry brigade decides not to move and they stand still firing some small shots at the other enemy line infantry.
A great game that could have ended totally different. My army was actually a wound or two from breaking in turns so it could really have ended the other way.
Thanks Tobias, I hope we can have many more games like this.
Thursday, 19 June 2014
The miniatures are from Magister Militum, they are a mixture of their historical and some fantasy miniatures.
The riders are okey, but the horses are rather bad in my opinion. But I must say that they look a little better now with paint on them compare to when I assembled them.
I like the infantry models and some of the riders from Magister but definitely not the horses.